Via the Nobel Women’s Initiative:
- Did you know that up 500,000 women were raped during the Rwandan genocide?
- Did you know that over 64,000 women were raped in Sierra Leone?
- Did you know that over 40,000 women were raped in Bosnia-Herzegovina?
- Did you know that thousands of women are raped every day in Sudan and Democratic Republic of Congo?
Enough is enough.
Thursday is our international day of action against sexual violence in conflict.
Nobel Peace Laureates Jody Williams, Shirin Ebadi and Mairead Maguire will TAKE A STAND to end rape in war. We urge you to TAKE A STAND in your home country and join us virtually.
Following the unprecedented conference in Montebello, Quebec where they hosted over 120 women from around the world to discuss strategies to address sexual violence, the Laureates will be TAKING A STAND in Ottawa – addressing Canadian parliamentarians and urging them to take the lead to end rape in war. Together – through online action – we can also take this message to governments all over the world.
Take a stand:
- Go to the UN Action Stop Rape Now website at http://bit.ly/m4GiDb and download the sample letter asking your elected official for increased action against sexual violence in conflict – and send it! Tell your government you are TAKING A STAND!
- Write a blog post, tweet or share on Facebook. We will be posting videos and live-tweeting throughout the day – letting you know what ACTION we are taking.
- Make sure to check the NWI blog and follow the #endrapeinwar hashtag. Use it in your posts – lets make it trend!
- Hundreds of women will be raped today. TAKE A STAND and send a letter to your gvt urging to #endrapeinwar http://bit.ly/m4GiDb
- Almost 48 women are raped every hour in Congo. TAKE A STAND and send a letter to your gvt urging to #endrapeinwar http://bit.ly/m4GiDb
Sample Facebook posts:
- As you sit at your computer right now, hundreds of women around the world are being raped as a strategic tactic of war. Tell your government: enough is enough! TAKE A STAND and send a letter to your elected official urging them to take action. link: <http://bit.ly/m4GiDb> http://bit.ly/m4GiDb
- Women Nobel Peace Laureates are TAKING A STAND to end sexual violence in conflict. Why don’t you? Send a letter to your elected official urging them to be a leader by acting to end rape!
Make sure you let us know when you have TAKEN A STAND by:
- sending us an email (email@example.com <http://firstname.lastname@example.org>
- tweeting: #itookastand #endrapeinwar
or letting us know on our website: http://bit.ly/norape
Women Nobel Laureates are taking a stand to #endrapeinwar . TAKE A STAND and send a letter to your government urging action: http://bit.ly/m4GiDb
Join us on Thursday. Together – we can move the earth.”