This year for the 3rd time, the Feminist Peace Network will once again be participating in Take Back The Tech, a campaign to use information communication technologies to raise awareness about violence against women. Take Back The Tech is held in conjunction with the 16 Days of Activism Against Gender Violence,
(Which) is an international campaign originating from the first Women’s Global Leadership Institute sponsored by the Center for Women’s Global Leadership in 1991. Participants chose the dates, November 25, International Day Against Violence Against Women and December 10, International Human Rights Day, in order to symbolically link violence against women and human rights and to emphasize that such violence is a violation of human rights. This 16-day period also highlights other significant dates including November 29, International Women Human Rights Defenders Day, December 1, World AIDS Day, and December 6, which marks the Anniversary of the Montreal Massacre.
The 16 Days Campaign has been used as an organizing strategy by individuals and groups around the world to call for the elimination of all forms of violence against women by:
- raising awareness about gender-based violence as a human rights issue at the local, national, regional and international levels
- strengthening local work around violence against women
- establishing a clear link between local and international work to end violence against women
- providing a forum in which organizers can develop and share new and effective strategies
- demonstrating the solidarity of women around the world organizing against violence against women
- creating tools to pressure governments to implement promises made to eliminate violence against women
As long time readers of this blog might surmise, this is hardly a stretch for us because the mission of this blog is to raise awareness about violence against women EVERY day. What is particularly empowering about these 10 days is that it is a chance for women all over the world who are doing similar work to come together and connect our efforts in increasingly empowering ways. Check out the Take Back The Tech website where you can find many useful tools, including graphics that you can add to your own website and much more. Join us in saying it is time, once and for all, to end the pandemic of violence against women.